ENHANCING EFFICIENCY WITH AMMONIA REFRIGERATION AT WISCONSIN MEAT AND SAUSAGE MANUFACTURER
Electrical, Process Controls, System Integration, Low Voltage, Technology Systems
Project completed in April 2021
SPECIALTIES FEATURED WITH THIS PROJECT:
Electrical installation, controls, ammonia refrigeration system
- Abbyland Foods’ 500,000 square foot facility in Abbotsford, Wisc. required an upgraded ammonia refrigeration control system.
- Egan’s team was tasked with upgrading a system consisting of two large input/output control panels and 15 compressor control panels in two stages.
- In the first stage of the project, Egan upgraded the I/O control panels and operator interface, by removing the existing proprietary controls system and replacing it with Egan’s Ammonia Refrigeration Control System, which utilizes Rockwell hardware and software platforms with the control panels built by Egan’s U.L. 508A Control Panel shops.
- Egan also performed all hardware installation, power and control wiring, network cabling, system configuration, and system startup as required for a complete operational system. All Human Machine Interface (HMI) and Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) programming was re-written. The system was designed and programmed to focus on energy savings.
- In the second stage of the project Egan was tasked with installation of the 15 upgraded compressor control panels and instrumentation wiring on each compressor as well as the engineering and programming to interface them with the new Egan Ammonia Refrigeration Control System. The routing of control and power wiring was brought up to code and the new compressor network was put in place.
- All proprietary communication was replaced with ethernet allowing extra flexibility and advanced features.