Deep roots. Deeper promises.
Founded on the principals of hard work, integrity, and innovation, the Egan brothers transformed wide-spanning specialty trades into Minnesota’s largest single-source partner.
We were built on a tradition of:
Service – We believe in providing a good relationship to our customers as well as good work.
Innovation – We believe embracing new practices and technologies is what will drive success for the next generation of Egan customers.
Community – We believe in doing more to support the Egan Community, which includes our employees, their families, and the local areas where they reside.
Dignity – We believe in upholding our reputation of being an honorable business partner. There’s a reason our tagline is, “Building on Promises Kept.”
Safety – We believe that every employee should be able to go home in as good (or better) condition than when they left for work. Every day.
Joseph Egan opens pipefitting shop in Minnesota’s Iron Range.
Emil Nietz, founder of Nietz Electric, returns from WWI and begins work as an electrician.
Joseph Egan establishes plumbing shop
Nietz Electric and Appliance is established, offering televisions, boat motors, kitchen appliances, and eventually four-wheelers and snowmobiles, along with electrical construction and service.
Egan & Sons Plumbing and Heating Company founded.
With $3,000 in start-up money, brothers Costney and Bill joined their father Joseph Egan and formed Egan & Sons Plumbing and Heating Company. Younger brother Jerry joined the company a few years later as well.
Leadership of the Nietz family business is passed to Emil’s son, Don Nietz.
Egan & Sons Air Conditioning Company is created, marking the first diversification effort of the business
Egan-McKay Electrical formed
Egan Companies become the first to form an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) in Minnesota
Nietz Business Repositions
- Boat and snowmobile business sold to another local family and still operates today as Al’s Specialty Marine.
- TV and antenna business sold to another local business.
- Nietz Electric continues to service the area as an electrical specialty contractor for customers like
Mayo Clinic, IBM, and the City of Rochester.
Egan joins Alliance for Contracting Excellence (ACE) peer group
Building Automation Services formed
InterClad brand developed
InterClad brand developed offering design, fabrication, and installation of curtain wall/cladding and glass systems.
Egan Service Formed
Service capabilities of all groups consolidate to form Egan Service.
- Merger with Comm Tech Electrical, Inc.
- Expands to Rochester with acquisition of Nietz Electric, Inc.
- Egan Mechanical Contractors, Inc., Egan-McKay Electrical Contractors, Inc., Egan Automation Inc., InterClad, Inc., E&S Insulation Co., and The Egan Companies consolidated into one corporate brand: Egan Companies, Inc.
Consolidation into one corporate office in Brooklyn Park
Acquisition of Building Control Group
Acquisition of Automation Systems Engineering, Inc.
- Merger with Collin Electrical Systems, Inc. (ColliSys).
- Acquisition of Industrial Electrical Company and KF Controls.
Acquisition of Weber Electric
- Acquisition of Electric Resource Contractors and Sterling Automation Inc.
- Recognized as one of America’s Safest Companies
Acquisition of Kestner Electric (Austin) further expanding presence in Southern Minnesota
Acquisition of TekNecks
Expansion/consolidation of metro offices
Nietz Electric repositions due to Southern Minnesota growth; further integrates operations as Egan Company.
Val [Egan Field Leader] is always there if we need him in an emergency and from a safety standpoint, all other vendors should follow his lead. Our thanks to Egan and Val for the great service this year!
- TURCK | Facilities & Safety Manager
Joel [Egan Field Leader] has been fantastic to work with on the installation of the GE chiller. I appreciate his quality work throughout the installation and the updates he provided on the progress. Joel’s attention to detail has helped to ensure that the new chiller will meet our requirements now and into the future by identifying issues and working through them to implement robust solutions.
- GE Power & Water | Senior Process Engineer
AMERICA'S SAFEST COMPANY AWARD
Recognized as one of America’s Safest Companies, Egan demands safety at every turn. We invest significant resources into employee training and jobsite safety.SAFETY FIRST